This week I'm posting positive questions from the Encyclopedia of Positive Questions by Dianna Whitney and I'm inviting you to respond to those questions via comments so we can gather positive stories of our career growth and leadership.
In a changing world, competitive advantages goes to those organizations and individuals that can change, grow or learn fasters than others. When at their best, organizations embrace continuous learning and become learning organizations in which people continuously challenges themselves to move out of their comfort zone, think in new ways and acquire new knowledge and experiment with different ways of working.
Continuous learning creates an exciting work environment, full of creative possibilities for the organization and its members. It stimulates people to go beyond the usual to discover and create better, more financially and socially effective ways of doing things.
- Describe an organization or environment that you've been in that has most inspired you and others to want to learn.
- What made this such a favorable place for learning?
- How did you and others grow and change as a result of being in this environment?
- What contributions were you able to bring back to one another, the organization, or the world at large as a result of having been part of this system?
- Every time we learn, we become bigger people. Even if we learn something that seems to have nothing to do with our work, the changes we experience as we learn make a difference in our work performance.
- What are your personal learning challenges--the things that you're curious about, that you'd like to learn more about, that will help you become a bigger human being?
- In what ways will you change as you grow into these new aspects of who you are?
- How do you see this new you contributing within your organization?
If this question seems like too much, respond to just one aspect of it in comments. Let's get out of discussions of deficits and learn from what's positive and strong in our lives.
Join Rebecca Fabiano and I tomorrow, January 14, at 7 p.m. (EST) on Blab when we'll be talking Leadership 2016 Resolutions. How do you want to grow as a leader this year? What are your goals and how do you plan to get there? What are your favorite resources for leadership growth? It will be a fun, interesting conversation--we hope you can be there!