Glen Ross of the American Cancer Society recently shared this hilarious video of a typical conference call. I probably spend a good 10-15 hours a week on these things and I have to say that the video pretty much captures my experience. So in support of more effective conference calling, here are some resources that might help:
- Fast Company's 10 Rules for Effective Conference Calls--Great tips, but I particularly enjoy the dialogue for how violating the rules plays out in a call.
- Leading More Effective Conference Calls--This tip list starts with what I think is the most important question. Do you actually need to do a call?
- How to Participate in a Conference Call--A lot of times the onus for effective conference calls is put on the leader. Personally, I think participants need to take some responsibility too.
- Five Ways to Be a Better Conference Call Participant--Another list to share with participants.
- Use a "People" Clock to Maintain Visual Attention--Pair individual photos with a clockface and you get an ingeniously simple way to bring a little more life into a call. Particularly effective for team calls.